Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Let Time Pass You By!!!!

Just few moments ago I was standing on my front porch smoking a cigarette and witnessed something I'd never seen before. All around was blue sky except for an opening through the trees that was a golden orange which was obviously the sun setting covered by clouds. That of course I'd seen before, but what I had never seen was the clouds rushing by at the pace that they were. They were rushing by so fast, it was beautiful. It was like being able to see gale force winds fly by (think Pocahontas "colors of the wind.")

This got me thinking about how quickly little moments in life pass us by. Often times we feel nostalgic for these moments, and sometimes we feel regret. Sometimes we wish we had stood still and really soaked it up, and sometimes we wish we had taken an extra moment and thought it through. Either way I think we always wish we had made the moment last longer whether it have been to enjoy it, or to chose differently. No matter what though, a minute never changes on the clock. That moment took 60 seconds to pass (figuratively speaking) you couldn't have slowed it down, or sped it up nor would you ever truly gain appreciation for how fast things can pass you by had you not taken for granted the time given. That's the thing about time, you can look back on it and wish you had cherished that hug a little longer, or every second you got to do something you really enjoyed as a kid. But those moments of indecision when we let things pass us by are the things that we reflect on and learn to live life a little slower and truly appreciate the things that have been laid before us and the paths we have chosen.

For a moment I wished there was someone there to witness that event with me so I could tell them about these thoughts going through my head at that very moment watching the clouds whip on by, then I was glad it was just me. It was my experience. Seemingly captured by my eyes and my eyes only. For once I felt happy with where I am in life. For all the wrong I've done, lessons I've learned, and time I've let slip on by. For once I find myself appreciating the fact that I don't know what's ahead of me and that I don't have it all figured out just yet. I have no clue what mistake or misstep I'm going to make tomorrow, but I do know I have little moments that i let pass by me faster than a tornado that have taught me so much and that I will hopefully apply to my future.

Moral of the story:
Don't beat yourself up over that which you can't change. Time passes you by, so what? Make what you can of it and move on. Time will keep passing you by, you'll always make mistakes, and there's always going to be something you wish you could change. Just remember the world doesn't stop for you, so don't stop for it.

No comments: